Name: Xuzong CHEN （陈徐宗）
Professor, Director of Institute of Quantum Electronics, School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science,PekingUniversity, head of the research group of Cold Atom Physics and Precision Measurement.
SchoolofElectronicsEngineering and Computer Science,
Beijing100871 , China
Phone: 0086-10-62751778(o), 0086-10-62751784(o), 0086-10-62762727(lab),
Handset: 13910103530, Fax no. 0086-10-62754999
Home page: http://iqe.pku.edu.cn
B.s. JiangsuUniversity, Zhenjiang,China, (1983.7)
Ph.D. Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Academy Sinica (1993.7)
Worker at Suzhou’s Electroplate Factory (Culture Revolution inChinajust finished, 1979.2-1979.9)
Teaching asistant,Jiansu University, Zhengjiang (1983.9-1987.9)
Postdoctor, Department of Electronics ,Peking University, Beijing （1993.7-1995.7）
Associate Professor, Department of Electronics ,Peking University (1995.7-2000.7)
Special Researcher, National Laboratory of Metrology, AIST, Japan (1996.9-1997.9 )
Professor, Department of Electronics ,PekingUniversity,( 2000.8-
visiting professor, Heidelberg University, Physics Department, 2003/7-2005/7,
visiting professor, Ecole Normal Suprieure, Laboratoire Kastler Brosse, Paris, 2007.2-20007.3,
Vice Dean of School of Electronic Engineering and Computer, Science Peking Univerity, (2002.9-2010.7 )
Director of Institute of Quantum Electronics, Peking University, 2005.7-
Director of Center of Novel Atomic Clock, Peking University, 2006.1-
Laser cooling and trapping of atoms, Bose-Einstein Condensation, Bose-Fermi mixture, Quantum Simulation，Precision Measurement based on Femtosecond laser comb generator, Atomic and molecular hyperfine spectra, Fiber laser comb generator, Optical Pumped cesium clock, etc.
Undergraduate courses: Mechanics, Atomic Physics, Introduction of Modern Electronics and Communication
Postgraduate courses: Laser Technology, Laser Theory, Advanced Experimental Atomic Physics, Advanced Optoelectronics.
Honors and Awards
1st award for Scientific and Technology advance, Chinese Academy of Science, 1990,
Award for Excellent Postgraduate Students, Chinese Academy of Science, 1993,
Award for Excellent Teacher, Peking University, 2000
Award of Motorola Excellent Teacher, Peking University, 2002
Fellow of Institute of Physics, UK, 2006
2nd Award of achievements of teaching, Beijing, 2010
Award of outstanding teacher, Beijing, 2015
Study on the exotic phase transition in optical lattice, the National Fundamental Research Program of China , Grant No. 2011CB921501, 6,000,000 RMB (2011-2015)
Long time stable high performance semiconductor laser system, NSFC, Grant No. 61027016,1,800,000 RMB (2011-2013)
Two and three dimensional optical lattice and phase transition, Grant No. 2006CB921401,2,000,000RMB (2006-2011)
Microwave Atomic Clock based on ultracold atoms, Grant No. 2005CB724503,2,000,000 RMB (2005-2009)
Information Processing based on cold atom , Grant No. 2001CB309308, 1,000, 000 RMB (2003-2007)
Semiconductor laser frequency standards and transfer of optical frequency to RF Grant No. 60490280, 1,000,000 RMB (2004-2008)
Precision measurement based on phase locked femtosecond laser, 1,400,000 RMB (2003-2005)
Couple output of Bose-Einstein Condensation in QUIC trap, 3,000,000 RMB (2002-2004)
Experimental study on Bose-Einstein Condensation 800,000 RMB (2001-2003)
Member, Committee of Quantum Optics, Chinese Physical Society (2000.7-)
Board member, Quantum Optics, Chinese Journal (2000/7- )
Member, Committee of Chinese Society of Measurement (2004.1-)
Vice director, Time and Frequency Committee, Chinese Society of Measurement, (2004.5-)
Member, consultation Committee of EE Science and Technology, Chinese Education Ministry (2006.1-2010.12)
Board member, Measurement Science and Technology, IOP, UK (2006.1-)
Board member, Quantum Electronics, Chinese Journal, (2006.1-)
Member, Teaching Consultantion Committee of EE Science and Technology, Chinese Education Ministry （2006.1-2010.12）
Board member, Measurement Science and Technology, IOP,UK, (2005.3-)
Board member, Quantum Electronics, Chinese Journal (2006.1-)
Member, Committee of RAO Yutai’s award, Chinese Physical Society (2007/1-)
Board member, Chinese Optics Letters (2007.1- )
member, committee of Navigation Joint Center, Education Ministry (2009.1- )
Board member, Chinese Optics Letters (2007.1-)
Member, Committee of Atom and molecule, Chinese Physical Society (2012.7-)
Selected Publications (since 2006)
1. Chen Li, Tianwei Zhou, Yueyang Zhai, Xuguang Yue, Jinggang Xiang, Shifeng Yang, Wei Xiong, and Xuzong Chen, Optical Talbot carpet with atomic density gratings obtained by standing-wave manipulation, Phys. Rev. A 95, 033821 (2017)
2. Zhongkai Wang, Baoguo Yang, Dong Hu, Xuzong Chen, Hongwei Xiong, Biao Wu, and Xiaoji Zhou, Observation of quantum dynamical oscillations of ultracold atoms in the F and D bands of an optical lattice, Physical Review A 94, 033624 (2016) .
3. Linxiao Niu, Pengju Tang, Baoguo Yang, Xuzong Chen, Biao Wu, and Xiaoji Zhou, Observation of Quantm Equilibration in Dilute Bose Gases, Physical Review A 94, 063603 (2016).
4. Qiuyi Guo, Haodi Liu, Tianji Zhou, Xuzong Chen, and Biao Wu, Nonlinear Landau-Zener tunneling in Majorana's stellar representation, European Physical Journal D 70, 128 (2016).
5. Kagome lattices for ultracold atoms induced by additional lightfields, Zhang, Huirong; Chen, Xuzong; Ma, Zhaoyuan; Journal of Physics B-Atomic molecular and Optical Journal, 49, No.11,: 115301, JUN 14 2016
6. Hepeng Yao, Tian Luan, Chen Li, Yin Zhang, Zhaoyuan Ma, Xuzong Chen，Comparison of different techniques in optical trap for generating picokelvin 3D atom cloud in microgravity, Optics Communications 359 (2016) 123–128
7. Polarization dependence of the direct two photon transitions of Rb-87 atoms by erbium: Fiber laser frequency comb ,Dai, Shaoyang; Xia, Wei; Zhang, Yin; Optics Communications，378，pp 35-40, NOV. 1, 2016
8. Wei Xia and Xuzong Chen, Recent developments in fiber-based optical frequency comb and its applications， Meas. Sci. Technol. 27 (2016) 041001 (12pp)
9. Qing Wang, Xianghui Qi, Shuyong Liu, Jiachen Yu, and Xuzong Chen, “Laser frequency stabilization using a dispersive line shape induced by Doppler effect,” Opt. Express 23, 2982 (2015)
10. Tian Luan, Hepeng Yao, Lu Wang, Chen Li, Shifeng Yang, Xuzong Chen, and Zhaoyuan Ma, “Two-stage crossed beam cooling with 6Li and 133Cs atoms in microgravity,” Opt. Express 23, 11378 (2015)
11. Dong Hu, Linxiao Niu, Baoguo Yang, Xuzong Chen, Biao Wu, Hongwei Xiong, and Xiaoji Zhou, “Long-time nonlinear dynamical evolution for P-band ultracold atoms in an optical lattice,” Phys. Rev. A 92, 043614 (2015)
12. Linxiao Niu, Dong Hu, Shengjie Jin, Xiangyu Dong, Xuzong Chen, and Xiaoji Zhou, “Excitation of atoms in an optical lattice driven by polychromatic amplitude modulation,” Opt. Express 23, 10065 (2015)
13. WEI XIA,QIANG LIU,HUI HAO,DONGMEI GUO,MING WANG,XUZONG CHEN,”Sinusoidal phase-modulating self-mixinginterferometer with nanometer resolution andimproved measurement velocity range” Applied Optics 54,26 (2015)。
14. A modified Bitter-type electromagnet and control system for cold atom experiments ，Tian Luan, Tianwei Zhou, Xuzong Chen, and Zhaoyuan Ma，REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS, 85, 024701 (2014)
15. Huirong Zhang, Yueyang Zhai1 and Xuzong Chen, J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 47 (2014) 025301 (5pp)
16. Xuzong Chen,,Wei Xiong,Yueyang Zhai, Xuguang Yue,Biao Wu, and Hongwei Xiong , Xiaoji Zhou, Measurement of Critical correlations in an ultracold Bose gas by means of a temporal Talbot-Lau interferometery, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 488 (2014) 012026i
17. Guo, QY (Guo, Qiuyi) ; Chen, XZ (Chen, XuZong); Wu, BA (Wu, Biao)，Tunneling dynamics and band structures of three weakly coupled Bose-Einstein condensates , OPTICS EXPRESS, Vol. 22, No. 16 ,(2014) 119234
18. W. Xiong, Xiaoji Zhou, X.G. Yue, Y.Y. Zhai, Xuzong Chen, A momentum filter for atomic gas，New Journal of Physics 15, 063025 (2013).
19. X.G. Yue , Y.Y. Zhai , Z.K. Wang, H.W. Xiong, Xuzong Chen, Xiaoji Zhou, Observation of diffraction phases in matter-wave scattering, Phys. Rev. A 88, 013603 (2013) .
20. Wei Xiong, Xiaoji Zhou, Xuguang Yue1, Xuzong Chen1, Biao Wu, Hongwei Xiong, Critical correlations in an ultra-cold Bose gas revealed by means of a temporal Talbot–Lau interferometer, Laser Phys. Lett. 10 , 125502(2013).
21. Y. Y. Zhai, X.G. Yue, Yanjiang Wu, Xuzong Chen, Peng Zhang, Xiaoji Zhou, Effective preparation and collisional decay of atomic condensates in excited bands of an optical lattice, Phys. Rev. A 87, 063638 (2013).
22. Z.K. Wang, L.X. Niu, P. Zhang, M.X. Wen, Z.Fang, X.Z. Chen, X.J. Zhou, Asymmetric superradiant scattering and abnormal mode amplification induced by atomic density distortion, Opt. Express 21, 14377 (2013)
23. Yueyang Zhai, Peng Zhang, Xuzong Chen, Guangjiong Dong, Xiaoji Zhou, Phys. Rev. A 88,003600 (2013). Bragg diffraction of a matter wave driven by a pulsed nonuniform magnetic field,
24. Zhen Fang, Baoguo Yang, Xuzong Chen, Xiaoji Zhou, Density operator description of atomic ordered spatial modes in cavity QED, Optics Comm. 306, 83 (2013).
25. Lu Wang, Peng Zhang, Xu-Zong Chen and Zhao-Yuan Ma, Generating a picokelvin ultracold atomic ensemble in microgravity, J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys.46 195302 (2013).
26. Huirong Zhang, Qiuyi Guo, Zhaoyuan Ma, Xuzong Chen, Spin model in the effective staggered magnetic field in optical lattices, Physical Review A , 87, 043625 (2013).
27. Yue, Xuguang; Zhai, Yueyang; Wang, Zhongkai; Xizoji Zhou, Xuzong Chen, Observation of diffraction phases in matter-wave scattering, PHYSICAL REVIEW A ， Vol. 88, No. 1 ,013603 (2013 )
28. Huirong Zhang, Qiuyi Guo, Zhaoyuan Ma, Xuzong Chen. Staggered manipulation of ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Physical Review A, 2012, 86(5): 053622(1-5)
29. Wei Xiong,Yue, Zhongkai Wang, Xiaoji Zhou and Xuzong Chen, Manipulating the momentum state of a condensate by sequences of standing-wave pulses, Phys. Rev. A 84, 043616 (2011)
30. Xinxing Liu, Xiaoji Zhou，Wei Xiong, Thibault Vogt, and Xuzong Chen, Rapid nonadiabatic loading in an optical lattice, Phys. Rev. A 83, 063402 (2011).
31. Bo Lu, Thibault Vogt, Xinxing Liu, Xu Xu, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Chen, Cooperative scattering measurement of coherence in a spatially modulated Bose gas, Phys. Rev. A 83, 051608(R) (2011).
32. Xinxing Liu, Xiaoji Zhou, Wei Zhang, Thibault Vogt, Bo Lu, Xuguang Yue, and Xuzong Chen, Exploring multiband excitations of interacting Bose gases in a one-dimensional optical lattice by coherent scattering, Phys. Rev. A 83, 063604 (2011).
33. Jun Duan, Xianghui Qi, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Chen, Detection of saturated absorption spectroscopy at high sensitivity with displaced crossovers, Opt. Lett. 36,561 (2011).
34. Bo Lu, Xiaoji Zhou, Thibault Vogt, Zhen Fang, and Xuzong Chen, Laser driving of superradiant scattering from a Bose-Einstein condensate at variable incidence angle, Phys. Rev. A 83, 033620 (2011).
35. Thibault Vogt, Bo Lu, XinXing Liu, Xu Xu, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Che, Mode competition in superradiant scattering of matter waves, Phys. Rev. A 83 053603 (2011)
36. Minimization of the temperature coefficient of resonance frequency shift in the coherent population trapping clock, Ke Deng, Xuozng Chen, Zhong Wang, Opt. Lett. 36,1740(2011)
37. Xiaoji Zhou, Fan Yang, Xuguang Yue, T. Vogt, and Xuzong Chen, Imprinting light phase on matter-wave gratings in superradiance scattering, Phys. Rev. A 81, 013615 (2010).
38. Zhen Fang, Rui Guo, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Chen, Atomic spatial coherence with spontaneous emission in a strong-coupling cavity, Phys. Rev. A 82, 015601(2010).
39. Muzhi Wu, Xiaoji Zhou, W. M. Liu, and Xuzong Chen, Roughness with a ﬁnite correlation length in a microtrap, Phys. Rev. A 81, 033625(2010).
40. Xiaoji Zhou, Xia Xu, Xuzong Chen, and Jingbiao Chen, Magic wavelengths for terahertz clock transitions, Phys. Rev. A 81, 012115 (2010).
41. Xiaoji Zhou, Xu Xu, Lan Yin, W. M. Liu, and Xuzong Chen, Detecting quantum coherence of Bose gases in optical lattices by scattering light intensity in cavity, Optics Express 18, 15664(2010).
42. Tao Guo, Ke Deng, Xuzong Chen, and Zhong Wang, Atomic clock based on transient coherent population trapping, Applied Physics Letters 94, 151108(2009).
43. Xiaoji Zhou, Jiageng Fu, and Xuzong Chen, High-order momentum modes by resonant superradiant scattering, Phys. Rev. A 80, 063608(2009).
44. Xu Xu, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Chen, Spectroscopy of superradiant scattering from an array of Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A 79, 033605(2009).
45. Xiang Hui Qi, Wen Lan Chen, Lin Yi, Xiao Ji Zhou and Xu Zong Chen, Modulation Transfer Spectroscopy of Coherent Population Trapping based on phase-coherent lasers, Optics Express 17, 6741(2009).
46. Lin Yi , Xianghui Qi, Wenlan Chen, Jingbiao Chen, Xiaoji Zhou, Xuzong Chen,Enhancing the stabilizing robustness for optical frequency comb, Measurement 42, 711–715(2009).
47. Xiang Hui Qi, Lin Yi, Qian Li Ma, Da Wei Zhou, Xiao Ji Zhou, and Xu Zong Chen, Study of phase coherence degradation induced by a tapered semiconductor amplifier with frequency-modulated continuous-wave and pulsed seed lasers, Applied Optics 48, 4370(2009).
48. S. Schiller, G.M. Tino, P. Gill, C. Salomon, U. Sterr, E. Peik, A. Nevsky, A. Gorlitz, D. Svehla,G. Ferrari, N. Poli, L. Lusanna, H. Klein, H. Margolis, P. Lemonde, P. Laurent, G. Santarelli,A. Clairon, W. Ertmer, E. Rasel, J. Muller, L. Iorio, C. Lammerzahl, H. Dittus, E. Gill, M.Rothacher, F. Flechner, U. Schreiber, V. Flambaum, Wei-Tou Ni, Liang Liu, Xuzong Chen, J.Chen, K. Gao, L. Cacciapuoti, R. Holzwarth, M.P. He_, W. Schaefer: Einstein Gravity Explorer a medium-class fundamental physics mission, Exp. Astron. 23, 573 (2009).
49. Wenlan Chen, Xianghui Qi, Lin Yi, Ke Deng, Zhong Wang, Jingbiao Chen, and Xuzong Chen, Optical phase locking with a large and tunable frequency difference based on a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser, Optics Letters 33, 357(2008).
50. K. Deng, T. Guo, D. W. He, X. Y. Liu, L. Liu, D. Z. Guo, X. Z. Chen, and Z. Wang, Effect of buffer gas ratios on the relationship between cell temperature and frequency shifts of the coherent population trapping resonance, Applied Physics Letters 92, 211104(2008).
51. Rui Guo, Xiaoji Zhou, and Xuzong Chen, Enhancement of motional entanglement of cold atoms by pairwise scattering of photons, Phys. Rev. A 78, 052107(2008).
52. Fan Yang, Xiaoji Zhou, Juntao Li, Yuankai Chen, Lin Xia, and Xuzong Chen, Resonant sequential scattering in two-frequency-pumping superradiance from a Bose-Einstein condensate, Phys. Rev. A, 78, 043611(2008).
53. Lin Xia, Xu Xu, Rui Guo, Fan Yang, Wei Xiong, Juntao Li, Qianli Ma, Xiaoji Zhou, Hong Guo, and Xuzong Chen, Manipulation of the quantum state by the Majorana transition in spinor Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A, 77, 043622(2008).
54. Xiao-Fei Zhang, Qin Yang, Jie-Fang Zhang, X. Z. Chen, and W. M. Liu, Controlling soliton interactions in Bose-Einstein condensates by synchronizing the Feshbach resonance and harmonic trap, Phys. Rev. A 77, 023613(2008).
55. Xu Xu, Xiaoji Zhou and Xuzong Chen, Resonant Raman super-radiance in a Bose–Einstein condensate with two internal states, J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 41, 165302(2008) .
56. Lin Yi, Xianghui Qi, Wenlan Chen, Jingbiao Chen, Xiaoji Zhou, Xuzong Chen, Enhancing the signal-to-noise ratio of optical frequency beating using open-loop photonic crystal ﬁber, Optics Communications 281, 4081–4087(2008).
57. Xiuquan Ma, Lin Xia, Fang Yang, Xiaoji Zhou, Yiqiu Wang, Hong Guo, and Xuzong Chen, Population oscillation of the multicomponent spinor Bose-Einstein condensate induced by nonadiabatic transitions, Phys.Rev.A, 73, (2006)013624
58. Li GQ,Fu LB, Xue JK, Chen XZ, Liu J, Collective Excitations of a Bose-Einstein Condensate in an Anharmonic Trap, PHysical Review A,Vol.74,No.11, 2006
59. Wang GF,Ye DF,Fu LB, Chen ZX,Liu J, Landau-Zener Tunneling in a Nonlinear Three-Level System,Physical Reviw A,Vol.74,No.9, 2006