NAME AND ADDRESS:
Director, Center for Quantum Information Technology
School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science,
Peking University, Beijing 100871, PR CHINA
PHONE: +86-10-6275-7035 (office), FAX: 6275-7035-3208 (Fax)
- Ph. D: Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, CAS, Shanghai, China, 1995.
- MSc: Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, CAS, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- B. E.: National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China, 1991.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES, BOARDS & COMMITTEES (various periods):
- Chair, Committee of Quantum Information Technology, National Key R&D Program (China)
- Chair, Committee of Quantum Information Technology, National Hi-Tech R&D Program (China)
- Vice Chair, Committee of Fundamental Research, National R&D Strategy (China)
- Vice Chair, Committee of Quantum Cryptography, Chinese Association for Cryptologic Research (CACR, China)
- Vice Chair, Committee of Quantum Electronics & Optoelectronics, Chinese Institute of Electronics (CIE, China)
- Chair, Commission D (Electronics and Photonics), URSI-CIE (CIE, China)
- Member, Committee of Quantum Optics, Chinese Physics Society (CPS, China)
- Fellow, Institute of Physics (IOP, UK)
- Fellow, Chinese Institute of Electronics (CIE, China)
- Member, Optical Society of America (OSA, USA)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS, USA)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, USA)
- Senior Member, Chinese Optical Society (COS, China)
Awards, HONORS AND HONORARY PROFESSORSHIPS:
- National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars of China, 2012.
- National Outstanding Postdoctoral Award of China, 2005.
- The Mao Yisheng Beijing Youth Science and Technology Award, 2005.
- New Century Talents Project National Candidates of China, 2004.
- Fok Ying Tung Education Foundation for the Young Scientists, 2000.
- Special Allowance Award of the State Council for Distinguished Experts, 2000.
- Top Ten Distinguished Young Scientists Award of Guangdong Province, 1999.
- Honorary/Guest/Visiting Professorships (various periods): Fudan University (China), National University of Defense Technology (China), Beijing University of Posts and Communications (China), Erlangen-Nürnberg University (Germany), Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS, France), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST, Korea).
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND PUBLISHED RESEARCH ARTICLES:
More than 200 peer-reviewed articles (h-index: 24) published, with more than 2000 citations, in OSA, APS, AIP, IEEE, IOP journals on topics including Quantum random number generation (QRNG), Quantum Communication (Quantum key distribution), Quantum Entanglement Dynamics, Quantum Optics (EIT, Slow and Fast Light), Free Space Optical Communication (Laser Satellite Communications) and Nondiffracting Beams and Spatially Induced Dispersion, etc.
MAJOR RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Proposed the passive monitoring method and realized the first experimental demonstration of untrusted source monitoring in quantum key distribution (OL 33, 2077, 2008), which is cited by several authors and referred to as “very encouraging … to prove the security … for QKD with an untrusted source… report the so far the only experimental implementation of QKD that considers the untrusted source ...” (New J. Phys. 12, 023024, 2010); and “… demonstrated a passive monitoring experiment…. These progresses represent big steps toward the secure QKD process…” (Phys. Rev. A 80, 062309, 2009).
- Proposed the photon-number-counting method, together with von Neumann post-processing, and realized the bias-free quantum random number generation (Opt. Lett. 34, 1876, 2009), which is cited and refered to as “…Researchers at Peking University (Beijing, China) have overcome this limitation with the development of a simple and compact method for true random-number generation based on photon-number detection of a weak laser pulse.…” (Laser Focus World, Newsbreaks, 08/01/2009). Further, realized the so far the longest truly random number sequence with the length of 14Gbit (Phys. Rev. E 81, 051137, 2010) and very recently, realized the so far the fastest (1.6Tbps) generation rate of truly random number (Laser Phys. Lett. 10, 045001, 2013).
- Proposed the differential geometric method for light propagation and derived the generalized eikonal equation (J. Opt. Soc. Am. A12, 600, 1995) which includes the diffraction effects in geometric equation, and further, generalized the kinds of Diffraction-free beams (J. Opt. Soc. Am. A12, 600, 1995), which is referred to as “when working with photonic components whose dimensions are of the order of the wavelength …, it is necessary to extend geometrical optics beyond its limit of very small wavelengths; this Guo and Deng achieved by generalizing the eikonal equation … with a nonzero wavelength.” (J. Opt. Soc. Am. A25, 2370, 2008).
- Proposed the pulsed Bessel optical beam and found and termed so-called the Spatially-Induced Dispersion of an ultrashort optical pulsed beam in free space (J. Opt. Soc. Am. A19, 49, 2002), which is cited by many authors, including a textbook, and is referred to as “The spatially induced group velocity dispersion of ultrashort-pulsed Bessel beams was analyzed” (R. Grunwald, Thin Film Micro-Optics: New Frontiers of Spatio-Temporal Beam Shaping, Elsevier, 2006).
ACADEMIC WORKING EXPERIENCES (DOMESTIC):
- 2003-Present: Professor and Vice Chair of Department of Electronics, School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science, and Director of Center for Quantum Information Technology, Peking University, Beijing, China.
- 1997-2003: Professor and Vice Chair, School of Information for Optoelectronics, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China.
- 1995-1997: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Institute of Quantum Electronics, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China.
ACADEMIC WORKING EXPERIENCES (OVERSEAS):
- 2007: Visiting Professor, Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS), France.
- 2005 and 2006: Visiting Professor, Erlangen-Nürnberg University, Germany.
- 2003-2005: Adjunct Professor, Department of Physics, KAIST, Korea.
- 2000: Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematics, HKUST, Hong Kong, China.
- 1999: Senior visiting research fellow, RTC, UR, Rochester, USA.
- 1994: Visiting research fellow, Department of Physics, HKBU, Hong Kong.
SELECTED INVITED TALKS AT INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES:
Workshop on Entanglement and Quantum Control (EQC), Qufu, Shangdong, China, 2010.
2nd International Workshop on Solid-State Quantum Computing (IWSSQC 2008), Taipei, Taiwan, 2008.
Workshop on Entanglement and Quantum Decoherence (EQD 2008), Nara, Japan, 2008.
International Conference on Advanced Optoelectronics and Lasers (CAOL 2003), Crimea, Ukraine, 2003.
Asian Pacific Laser Symposium (APLS’98), Cheju Island, Korea, 1998.
LECTURES for Undergraduates and Graduates:
Lectures for Courses:
More than 7 lectures given for undergraduates and graduates as required or optional courses, including: Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Optics, Introduction to Quantum Information Technologies, Advanced Laser Physics, Laser Plasma Interaction Physics, Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Laser Optics.
Lectures for Colloquium and Seminar:
Lectures given for undergraduates, graduates and visiting students in colloquiums and seminars, including: Differential Geometry in Mathematical Physics and Riemannian geometrical treatment for light beam propagation, Gravitation and General Relativistic Theory, Long distance propagation of ultrashort intense laser pulse in air, Propagation of X-ray probe beam in linear plasma and the electron density measurement using interferometry and deflectometry, Schrödinger formalism treatment in the study of light beam propagations, Coherent population trapping, electromagnetic induced transparency and the purity of a quantum optical system, etc.
Optical Pumped Magnetometer (OPM):
- Wenhao Li, Xiang Peng, Dmitry Budker, Arne Wickenbrock, Bo Pang, Rui Zhang, and Hong Guo, Hybrid optical pumping of K and Rb atoms in a paraffin coated vapor cell, Opt. Lett. 42(20), 4163-4166 (2017).
- Wenhao Li, Mikhail Balabas, Xiang Peng, Szymon Pustelny, Arne Wickenbrock, Hong Guo, and Dmitry Budker, J. Appl. Phys. 121, 063104 (2017).
- Junhui Li, Bin Luo, Dongyue Yang, Longfei Yin, Guohua Wu, Hong Guo, Negative exponential behavior of image mutual information for pseudo-thermal light ghost imaging: observation, modeling, and verification, Sci. Bulletin 62(10), 717-723(2017).
- Zaisheng Lin, Xiang Peng, Wenhao Li, Haidong Wang, Hong Guo, Magneto-optical double resonance driven by fictitious fields, Opt. Express 25(7), 7668-7676(2017).
- Zaisheng Lin, He Wang, Xiang Peng, Teng Wu, and Hong Guo, Laser pumped He-4 magnetometer with light shift suppression, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 87, 115111 (2016).
- Teng Wu, Xiang Peng, Zaisheng Lin, and H. Guo, A dead-zone free He-4 atomic magnetometer with intensity-modulated linearly polarized light and a liquid crystal polarization rotator, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 86, 103105 (2015).
- Teng Wu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, Light shift manipulation and suppression in a double pass optical-magnetic double resonance system, Laser Phys. 24, 106001 (2014).
Quantum Random Number Generation (QRNG) and Quantum Key Distribution (QKD):
- Zhengyu Li, Yichen Zhang, Xiangyu Wang and Bingjie Xu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, Non-Gaussian postselection and virtual photon subtraction in continuous-variable quantum key distribution, Phys. Rev. A 93 (1), 012310 (2016).
- Zhengyu Li, Yi-Chen Zhang, Feihu Xu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, Continuous-variable measurement-device-independent quantum key distribution, Phys. Rev. A 89 (5), 052301 (2014).
- Yi-Chen Zhang, Zhengyu Li, Christian Weedbrook, Song Yu, Wanyi Gu, Maozhu Sun, Xiang Peng and Hong Guo, Improvement of two-way continuous-variable quantum key distribution using optical amplifiers, J. Phys. B 47, 035501 (2014).
- Maozhu Sun, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, An improved two-way continuous-variable quantum key distribution protocol with added noise in homodyne detection, J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 46, 085501 (2013).
- Y. Liu, M.-Y Zhu, B Luo, J-W Zhang and H Guo, “Implementation of 1.6 Tbs-1 truly random number generation based on a super-luminescent emitting diode”, Laser Phys. Lett. 10, 045001 (2013).
- M.-Y. Zhu, Y. Liu, Q.-F. Yu, and H. Guo, “Random number generation based on polarization mode noise of vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers,” Laser Phys. Lett. 9, 775 (2012).
- Wei Wei, Guodong Xie, Anhong Dang, and Hong Guo, “High-speed and bias-free optical random number generator,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett. 24, 437 (2012).
- Bingjie Xu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, “The security of SARG04 protocol in plug and play QKD system with an untrusted source,” Quantum Inf. Comput. 12, 0630 (2012).
- Jian Yang, Bingjie Xu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, “Four-state continuous-variable quantum key distribution with long secure distance,” Phys. Rev. A 85, 052302 (2012).
- Jian Yang, Bingjie Xu, and Hong Guo, “Source monitoring for continuous-variable quantum key distribution,” Phys. Rev. A 86, 042314 (2012).
- Maozhu Sun, Xiang Peng, Yujie Shen, Hong Guo, “Security of a new two-way continuous-variable quantum key distribution protocol,” International J. Quantum Inf. 10, 1250059 (2012).
- Yujie Shen, Xiang Peng, Jian Yang, and Hong Guo, and Anhong Dang, “Continuous-variable quantum key distribution with Gaussian source noise,” Phys. Rev. A 83, 052304 (2011).
- Jinlong Wu, Tiejun Li, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, “Statistical method for resolving the photon-photoelectron-counting inversion problem,” J. Comput. Phys. 230, 726 (2011).
- Bingjie Xu, Xiang Peng, and Hong Guo, “Passive scheme with a photon-number-resolving detector for monitoring the untrusted source in a plug-and-play quantum-key-distribution system,” Phys. Rev. A 82, 042301 (2010).
- Xiang Peng, Bingjie Xu, and Hong Guo, “Passive-scheme analysis for solving the untrusted source problem in quantum key distribution,” Phys. Rev. A 81, 042320 (2010).
- Hong Guo, Wenzhuo Tang, Yu Liu, and Wei Wei, “Truly random number generation based on measurement of phase noise of a laser,” Phys. Rev. E 81, 051137 (2010).
- Wei Wei and Hong Guo, “Bias-free true random-number generator,” Opt. Lett. 34, 1876-1878 (2009).
- Yong Shen, Jian Yang, and Hong Guo, “Security bound of continuous-variable quantum key distribution with noisy coherent states and channel,” J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 42, 235506 (2009).
- Xiang Peng, Hao Jiang, Bingjie Xu, Xiongfeng Ma, Hong Guo, “Experimental quantum key distribution with an untrusted source,” Opt. Lett. 33, 2077-2079 (2008).
- Xiang Peng, Hao Jiang, Hong Guo, “Multi-wavelength QKD for reducing Rayleigh backscattering and increasing the key rate,” J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 41, 085509 (2008).
- Yucheng Hu, Xiang Peng, Tiejun Li, and Hong Guo, “On the Poisson approximation to photon distribution for faint lasers,” Phys. Lett. A 367, 173 (2007).
Quantum Optics (EIT and Slow & Fast Light, Entanglement Dynamics and Quantum Open System):
- Jiang Zhou and Hong Guo, “Dynamics of genuine multipartite entanglement in a quantum spin system,” J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 45, 220503 (2012).
- Yang Li, Bin Luo, and Hong Guo, “Entanglement and quantum discord dynamics of two atoms under practical feedback control,” Phys. Rev. A 84, 024316 (2011).
- Chengjun Wu, Yang Li, Mingyi Zhu, and Hong Guo, “Non-Markovian dynamics without using a quantum trajectory,” Phys. Rev. A 83, 052116 (2011).
- Bin Luo, Yu Liu, and Hong Guo, “Magnetically induced simultaneous slow and fast light,” Opt. Lett. 35, 64-66 (2010).
- Wenzhuo Tang, Bin Luo, Yu Liu, and Hong Guo, “Slow light of an amplitude-modulated Gaussian pulse in Cesium vapor,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics 46, 579 (2010).
- Wenzhuo Tang, Bin Luo, Yu Liu, and Hong Guo, “A study of pulse shape in electromagnetically induced transparency based slow light,” Phys. Lett. A 374, 2183 (2010).
- Jiang Zhou, Chengjun Wu, Mingyi Zhu, and Hong Guo, “Non-Markovian dynamics of entanglement for multipartite systems,” J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 42, 215505 (2009).
- Yang Li, Jiang Zhou, and Hong Guo, “Effect of the dipole-dipole interaction for two atoms with different couplings in a non-Markovian environment,” Phys. Rev. A 79, 012309 (2009).
- Bin Luo, Hua Tang, and Hong Guo, “Dark states in electromagnetically induced transparency controlled by a microwave field,” J. Phys. B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. 42, 235505 (2009).
- Lin Xia, Xu Xu, Rui Guo, Fan Yang, Wei Xiong, Juntao Li, Qianli Ma, Xiaoji Zhou, Hong Guo, and Xuzong Chen, “Manipulation of the quantum state by the Majorana transition in spinor Bose-Einstein condensates,” Phys. Rev. A 77, 043622 (2008).
- Luming Li, Wenzhuo Tang and Hong Guo, “Velocity-selective effect and its use in refractive index control by an incoherent pumping in a V-type electromagnetically-induced-transparency medium,” Phys. Rev. A 76, 053837 (2007).
- Rui Guo and Hong Guo, “Momentum entanglement and disentanglement between an atom and a photon,” Phys. Rev. A 76, 012112 (2007).
- Rui Guo and Hong Guo, “Entanglement of scattered single photon with atom,” Phys. Rev. A 73, 012103 (2006).
- Xiuquan Ma, Fan Yang, Lin Xia, Xiaoji Zhou, Xiqiu Wang, Hong Guo, and Xuzong Chen, “The population oscillation of multicomponent spinor Bose-Einstein Condensate induced by nonadiabatic transitions,” Phys. Rev. A 73, 013624 (2006).
- Luming Li, Hong Guo, Feng Xiao, Xiang Peng and Xuzong Chen, “The control of light in a M-type five-level atomic system,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 22, 1309-1313 (2005).
- Yanfeng Bai, Hong Guo, Hui Sun, Dingan Han, Cheng Liu and Xuzong Chen, “Effects of spontaneously generated coherence on the conditions for exhibiting lasing without inversion in a V system,” Phys. Rev. A 69, 043814 (2004).
Free Space Optical Communication and Light Propagation:
- Guodong Xie, Fangxiang Wang, Anhong Dang, Hong Guo, “A novel polarization-multiplexing system for free-space optical links,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett. 23, 1484-1486, (2011).
- Hua Tang, Baolin Ou, Bin Luo, Hong Guo, and Anhong Dang, “Average spreading of a radial Gaussian beam array in non-Kolmogorov turbulence,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 28, 1016-1021 (2011).
- Yaoqiang Han, Anhong Dang, Yongxiong Ren, Junxiong Tang, Hong Guo, “Theoretical and experimental studies of turbo product code with time diversity in free space optical communication,” Opt. Express 18, 26978-26988, (2010).
- Yongxiong Ren, Anhong Dang, Bin Luo, and Hong Guo, “Capacities for long-distance free-space optical links under beam wander effects,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett. 22, 1069-1971 (2010).
- Hong Guo, Bin Luo, Yongxiong Ren, Sinan Zhao, and Anhong Dang, “Influence of beam wander on uplink of ground-to-satellite laser communication and optimization for transmitter beam radius,” Opt. Lett. 35, 1977-1979 (2010).
- Guohua Wu, Hong Guo, and Song Yu, “Spreading and direction of Gaussian Schell model beam through a non-Kolmogorov turbulence,” Opt. Lett. 35, 715-717 (2010).
- Yaoqiang Han, Anhong Dang, Junxiong Tang, and Hong Guo, “Weak beacon detection for air-to-ground optical wireless link establishment,” Opt. Express 18, 1841-1853 (2010).
- Guohua Wu, Qihong Lou, Jun Zhou, Hong Guo, Hongming Zhao, and Zhijun Yuan, “Beam conditions for radiation generated by an electromagnetic J0-correlated Schell-model source,” Opt. Lett. 33, 2677-2679 (2008).
- Hong Jin Kong, Seong Ku Lee, Dong Won Lee and Hong Guo, “Phase control of a stimulated Brillouin scattering phase conjugate mirror by a self-generated density modulation,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 051111 (2005).
- Xiquan Fu and Hong Guo, “Laser-plasma electron-density measurement using x-ray interferometry,” Phys. Rev. E 65, 067401 (2002).
- Xiquan Fu, Hong Guo, Wei Hu and Song Yu, “Spatial nonparaxial correction of the ultrashort pulsed beam propagation in free space,” Phys. Rev. E 65, 056611 (2002).
- Wei Hu and Hong Guo, “Ultrashort pulsed Bessel beams and the spatially induced group velocity dispersion,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A19, 49-53 (2002).
- Hong Guo, Timon Chengyi Liu, Xiquan Fu, Wei Hu, and Song Yu, “Beam propagation of x rays in a laser-produced plasma and a modified relation of interferometry in measuring the electron density”, Phys. Rev. E 63, 066401 (2001).
- Hong Guo and Ximing Deng, “Differential geometrical methods in the study of optical transmission (scalar theory).II. time-dependent transmission theory”，J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 12，607-610 (1995).
- Hong Guo and Ximing Deng, “Differential geometrical methods in the study of optical transmission (scalar theory). I. static transmission case”，J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 12，600-606 (1995).